HOW ESPO WORKS
The membership structure is organised on national level. Each member country has three official delegates with voting rights in the General Assembly. Neighbouring countries have one observer delegate each.
Each member country also has a formal delegate in the Executive Committee, which is the daily policy-making body of the organisation. The General Assembly elects a Chairman and two Vice-Chairs for a mandate of two years.
Technical expertise and advisory input comes from the technical committees and networks on topics as diverse as port governance, intermodal transport, logistics and industry, sustainable development, marine affairs, trade facilitation, customs and security, economic analysis and statistics, cruise and passenger port issues, labour and operations and legal issues. These specialised committees and networks are made up of and chaired by experts from the member ports and are co-ordinated by ESPO staff.
The recommendations of the technical committees are submitted to ESPO’s Executive Committee which takes the final decision.
The ESPO Technical Committees are chaired by the following persons:
- Economic Analysis and Statistics Committee: Aernoud Willeumier – NL
- Intermodal & Logistics/ Intermodal, Logistics and Industry: Jean-Pierre Chalus - FR
- Labour and Operations Network: Carmen Costache - RO
- Legal Advisory Network: Wilko Tijsse Claase - NL
- Trade Facilitation, Customs & Security and Marine Affairs Committee:
– Subcommittee Marine Affairs: Claus Holm Christensen – DK
– Subcommittee Trade and Facilitation, Customs and Security: Kristin van Kesteren-Stefan – BE (new mandate)
- Passengers / Cruise and Ferry Ports Network: Antonio Revedin – IT
- Port Governance Committee: Santiago Garcia Mila – ES
- Sustainable Development Committee: Edvard Molitor – SE
- Vice-chair EcoPorts in Sustainable Development Committee: Chryssanthi Kontogiorgi – GR
- Blue Growth Network: Carlos Botana – ES
You can find a list of the ESPO Networks and the allocation of subject fields to the Technical Committees here.