To promote the efforts made by different European ports to enhance the city port relations through innovative projects, ESPO decided in 2009 to give out an annual ESPO award on Societal Integration of Ports. After the two first editions, it was decided to focus each year on one different aspect of societal integration.
The themes addressed so far are: Creative Strategies to Communicate the Port to the Wider Public (2011), Youth (2012), Heritage (2013), Innovative Environmental Projects (2014), Relationship with Schools and Universities (2015), Nature in Ports (2016), Art and Cultural involvement of the port (2017) and Ports as a good work environment for everyone (2018).
The theme of the 2019 edition will be announced in spring 2019. Every year, the winner is selected by an independent jury of international experts. The 11th ESPO Award will be officially handed out during an Award Ceremony and Dinner, which will take place in November in Brussels.
More than 170 port projects have been submitted to compete for the ESPO Award on societal integration of ports since its establishment in 2009.
To consult the pictures and the submitted projects of the previous editions, click here.
WINNERS OF THE ESPO AWARD
Previous editions: Pictures & Booklets with submitted projects
- 2009 Port of Gijón (Spain) | Gijón Port & City Together
Special mentions: port of Genoa (Italy) Genoa Port Center –Breaking Down the “Social Distancing” of the Port. Port of Ghent (Belgium) Project Ghent Canal Zone -Working Together on the Sustainable Development of the Ghent-Terneuzen Canal Zone
- 2010 Port of Helsinki (Finland) | Port as Part of the City
- 2011 Ports of Stockholm (Sweden) | Hamnvision 2015 (Portvision 2015)
- 2012 Port of Genoa (Italy) | Citizens of the Port – Knowing and Living the Port of Genoa
- 2013 Port of Antwerp (Belgium) | Heritage: The Breadcrumb Trail between City and Port
- 2014 Port of Koper | No waste, just ressources
- 2015 Port of Dublin (Ireland) | Port Communities Educational Support Programme
Special mention for Port of Guadeloupe Discovering my port
- 2016 bremenports (Germany) | LUNEPLATE
- 2017 Guadeloupe Port Caraïbes (France) | Port’Art
- 2018 Port of Rotterdam Authority (The Netherlands) | The Port of Rotterdam creates a good working environment for everyone