To promote the efforts made by different European ports to enhance the city port relations through innovative projects, ESPO decided in 2009 to give out an annual ESPO award on Social Integration of Ports. After the two first editions, it was decided to focus each year on one different aspect of social integration.
The themes addressed so far are: Creative Strategies to Communicate the Port to the Wider Public (2011), Youth (2012), Heritage (2013), Innovative Environmental Projects (2014), Relationship with Schools and Universities (2015), Nature in Ports (2016), Art and Cultural involvement of the port (2017) and Ports as a good work environment for everyone (2018).
The 2020 theme is “Role of the port in encouraging innovators and local start-ups to be part of the port ecosystem”.
Innovation is key for European ports if they want to prepare for a zero-carbon and digital future. Most European ports are situated in or near big urban agglomerations where innovation and start-up businesses are at their best.
The ESPO Award 2020 will go to the port managing body that has developed a successful strategy to attract innovation and local start-ups to the port and thus matches supply and demand for innovative solutions for the port and its stakeholders. The winning port will demonstrate to what extent this strategy has led not only to stimulating innovation in the port, but also making the port ecosystem an attractive place for innovative ideas and local young start-up talents.
Project submissions have to reach the ESPO Secretariat by Friday 26 June 2020 at the latest. To submit your project, please use the dedicated application form and go through the terms of reference.
WINNERS OF THE ESPO AWARD
Previous editions: Pictures & Booklets with submitted projects
- 2009 Port of Gijón (Spain) | Gijón Port & City Together
Special mentions: port of Genoa (Italy) Genoa Port Center –Breaking Down the “Social Distancing” of the Port. Port of Ghent (Belgium) Project Ghent Canal Zone -Working Together on the Sustainable Development of the Ghent-Terneuzen Canal Zone
- 2010 Port of Helsinki (Finland) | Port as Part of the City
- 2011 Ports of Stockholm (Sweden) | Hamnvision 2015 (Portvision 2015)
- 2012 Port of Genoa (Italy) | Citizens of the Port – Knowing and Living the Port of Genoa
- 2013 Port of Antwerp (Belgium) | Heritage: The Breadcrumb Trail between City and Port
- 2014 Port of Koper | No waste, just ressources
- 2015 Port of Dublin (Ireland) | Port Communities Educational Support Programme
Special mention for Port of Guadeloupe Discovering my port
- 2016 bremenports (Germany) | LUNEPLATE
- 2017 Guadeloupe Port Caraïbes (France) | Port’Art
- 2018 Port of Rotterdam Authority (The Netherlands) | The Port of Rotterdam creates a good working environment for everyone
- 2019 Port of Dover (United Kingdom) | Transparen-SEA (Socially Engaged Accountability)