To promote the efforts made by different European ports to enhance the city port relations through innovative projects, ESPO decided in 2009 to give out an annual ESPO award on Societal Integration of Ports. After the two first editions, it was decided to focus each year on one different aspect of societal integration.
The themes addressed so far are: Creative Strategies to Communicate the Port to the Wider Public (2011), Youth (2012), Heritage (2013), Innovative Environmental Projects (2014), Relationship with Schools and Universities (2015), Nature in Ports (2016) and Art and Cultural involvement of the port (2017).
The theme of the 2018 edition is "ports as a good work environment for everyone". Project submissions have to reach the ESPO secretariat by Friday 29 June 2018 at the latest. Every year, the winner is selected by an independent jury of international experts. The 10th ESPO Award will be officially handed out during an Award Ceremony and Dinner, which will take place on 7 November 2018 in Brussels. More information here, while the Terms of Reference are available here and the application form here.
More than 140 port projects have been submitted to compete for the ESPO Award on societal integration of ports since its establishment in 2009.
To consult the pictures and the submitted projects of the previous editions, click here.
WINNERS OF THE ESPO AWARD
ESPO Award 2018
Previous editions: Pictures & Booklets with submitted projects
- 2009 Port of Gijón (Spain) | Gijón Port & City Together
Special mentions: port of Genoa (Italy) Genoa Port Center –Breaking Down the “Social Distancing” of the Port. Port of Ghent (Belgium) Project Ghent Canal Zone -Working Together on the Sustainable Development of the Ghent-Terneuzen Canal Zone
- 2010 Port of Helsinki (Finland) | Port as Part of the City
- 2011 Ports of Stockholm (Sweden) | Hamnvision 2015 (Portvision 2015)
- 2012 Port of Genoa (Italy) | Citizens of the Port – Knowing and Living the Port of Genoa
- 2013 Port of Antwerp (Belgium) | Heritage: The Breadcrumb Trail between City and Port
- 2014 Port of Koper | No waste, just ressources
- 2015 Port of Dublin (Ireland) | Port Communities Educational Support Programme
Special mention for Port of Guadeloupe Discovering my port
- 2016 bremenports (Germany) | LUNEPLATE
- 2017 Guadeloupe Ports Caraïbes (France) | Port’Art